Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Complete Coverage

I talked to a dev friend of mine recently and he presented me with a very common problem that he ran across at work.  With it being the holidays still, a lot of the members of his team are on vacation.  Well, a problem came up and he was stuck troubleshooting by himself because he couldn’t get anyone on the phone.  And to top it off it’s a very complicated system with no clear troubleshooting paths, so the SMEs are very important in this case.

This is a very common mistake that a lot of shops make.  You need to make sure you have full coverage even when everyone’s on vacation.  At my gig we’re all vacation this week, but we still have people taking turns being on-call in case something breaks.  So if you guys really want to avoid problems like these, take the easy road and make sure that someone is at least on-call during vacations.

It’s just that easy.

Watch my free SQL Server Tutorials at:
http://MidnightDBA.ITBookworm.com

Read my book reviews at:
www.ITBookworm.com

Blog Author of:
Database Underground – http://www.infoworld.com/blogs/sean-mccown

Follow my Twitter:

http://twitter.com/MidnightDBA

1 comments:

Sam Greene said...

Well, I like this idea! Our idea of coverage means someone in a chair.

About Me

My Photo
Sean McCown
I am a Contributing Editor for InfoWorld Magazine, and a frequent contributor to SQLServerCentral.com as well as SSWUG.org. I live with my wife and 3 kids, and have practiced and taught Kenpo for 22yrs now.
View my complete profile

Labels

Blogumulus by Roy Tanck and Amanda Fazani

Page Views