Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Best DR Plan in Existence

Someone just wrote to tell me that they just had a major outage on their main DW server due to one of the teams upgrading a driver.  There was nothing wrong with what they did, so there’s no reason to believe it would have brought the entire system down.

All I can say is that they had the best DR plan in existence and I had to share it with you so you can mimic it in your own shops.  All you have to do is not take any system-level backups and don’t save any of your configs or any of your files, or document any of your processes.  Then you can just have everyone in the dept wish as hard as they can that nothing bad will ever happen.

It must be an excellent DR plan because it’s the same one that so many companies use.  And it costs next to nothing to implement, which is probably why it’s so popular.  And the real joy is that you can put it into practice almost as quickly as you can put it on paper.  It takes next to no approval from the brass either.

I really don’t see the big deal with DR though.  There’s so much time online and in magazines/books dedicated to this topic and I just don’t get it.  If so many companies already have this practically foolproof DR plan then what’s left to discuss?  I’ve been thinking about this for a while now and I can’t come up with a single situation where this wouldn’t apply. 

Watch my free SQL Server Tutorials at:
http://MidnightDBA.ITBookworm.com

Read my book reviews at:
www.ITBookworm.com

Blog Author of:
Database Underground – http://www.infoworld.com/blogs/sean-mccown

Follow my Twitter:

http://twitter.com/MidnightDBA

1 comments:

Jen said...

This reminds me of Fight Club. "My job will be not to talk about the things I've seen here. I don't even have to come into the office to do this job, I can do it from home."

About Me

My Photo
Sean McCown
I am a Contributing Editor for InfoWorld Magazine, and a frequent contributor to SQLServerCentral.com as well as SSWUG.org. I live with my wife and 3 kids, and have practiced and taught Kenpo for 22yrs now.
View my complete profile

Labels

Blogumulus by Roy Tanck and Amanda Fazani

Page Views