Tuesday, August 30, 2005

DON'T Tolerate Fraud!!!

There has been some buzz lately that everyone should know about. There is an author out there who has written several articles on SQL Server and even a book. This author is a complete fraud. He is a plagiarist who has ripped off the hard work of many others and I could only hope that Microsoft sues his ass. Unfortunately it'll probably his publisher who will suffer.

As an author, I am outraged by this fraud who profits from others' work and research. I will do whatever I can to make sure that everyone knows that we won't tolerate this type of behavior. I work hard on all my articles and even the sarcasm in them. I borrow from BOL or other sources sometimes, but I always cite the source.

Steve Jones at SQLServerCentral.com wrote a blog on this topic as well, and he's already contacted MS and some publishers to let them know this has been going on.
Kevin Kline has also blogged on this.




The fraud's name is Rahul Sharma.
So nobody buy his book... ever, Ever, EVER!
His book is: Microsoft SQL Server™ 2000: A Guide to Enhancements and New Features

Check out "his" sample chapter here:

http://www.awprofessional.com/articles/article.asp?p=28787&rl=1

Compare that to the BOL replication stuff if you're bored.

Rahul my friend, you haven't heard the last of me. I'm not going to let this go. You've been faking your way through for a long time now, and I'm going to make it my personal mission to make sure everyone knows it.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I saw Steve's blog on this, too, and couldn't believe it. Thanks a lot, Rahul. While the rest of us bust our butts to come up with original content, he goes and proves the profitability of Ctrl-V.

I'm afraid you might be right about the legal part, though ... his contract probably made him warrante to the publisher that his work was original, and so he will be in default on his contract, but I bet it will be the publisher that is held accountable for this.

I'm not sure if that's right - it would be very hard for a publisher to have editors in place just to google for all of a writer's content, to make sure it was original. At my day job (DBA at the University of Iowa), faculty have access to a tool from turnitin.com that tries to verify that students' work is original. Maybe publishers need to develop a similar service?

Anonymous said...

Hi, I can see I'm going to enjoy this blog! Not read this book but I think there is a severe irony in Microsoft linking to this as a 3rd party book on their page on TechNet if what you say is true (I just Googled the title to see if I could find any other info about it). Maybe they have been associated with the publication of this book and are happy with it.
Anyway keep ranting! :-)

Cheers

Alex

About Me

My Photo
Sean McCown
I am a Contributing Editor for InfoWorld Magazine, and a frequent contributor to SQLServerCentral.com as well as SSWUG.org. I live with my wife and 3 kids, and have practiced and taught Kenpo for 22yrs now.
View my complete profile

Labels

Blogumulus by Roy Tanck and Amanda Fazani

Page Views